HE'S no Harold Bishop, but Mark Sanderson has proven he is one hell of a good neighbour.
The Tumut St resident was the first to raise the alarm just before 2am Saturday, after hearing what sounded like a rocket exploding.
CCTV captured by Mr Sanderson's camera shows hoodlums lighting the projectile and then launching it into the balcony, a massive flash of light blinding the screen as the blaze sparks up.
Mr Mitchell's outdoor couch and other furniture erupted into flames, the fire burning hot enough to explode the glass door as the flames licked their way towards the inside of his home.
A quick-thinking Mr Sanderson grabbed his fire extinguisher and raced across the road to sound the alarm, with Ms Bennett woken by Mr Sanderson banging on their door.
He was able to wake most residents of the unit block who evacuated and quickly formed a human chain, passing buckets of water to the balcony to try and prevent the fire from spreading throughout the unit complex.
"We would've been cactus with the smoke," Mr Mitchell, 29, recalled, praising Mr Sanderson's efforts.
"He (Mr Sanderson) just ran across and started banging on the door.
"It could've been a lot worse."
Mr Mitchell said he and his partner had turned in at about 10pm Friday night, earlier than they normally would on a weekend night.
He wondered whether the attack might've been avoided if they'd still been on the balcony with the light on.
He recalled grabbing his television, computers and other items of value and quickly putting them in the hallway, trying to protect them from the fire, while gas bottles on the balcony were causing plenty of concern.
But once the balcony door exploded, sending molten glass flying, they decided to evacuate.
"There was so much smoke," he recalled.
"It frightened a few people."
Mr Sanderson said he'd heard loud bangs "for hours" earlier in the night, and had just gone back to bed when the explosion sounded.
"I saw the balcony on fire so I grabbed the fire extinguisher and high-tailed over there," the 43-year-old said.
"It was full on. It's (unit damage) pretty extensive.
"I'm just glad they're all alright."
He hoped the culprits were found quickly.
"It's absolutely crazy," Mr Sanderson said.
Mr Mitchell said they were now out of their home for about 4-6 weeks and would be staying with family in Brisbane and Imbil, as repairs are carried out and cleaners try and get rid of the smoke smell.
Residents banded together to help douse the flames until firefighters arrived about 10 minutes later.
No arrests or charges had been made or laid as of yesterday and Coast police sought public assistance for information as they investigate.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.