Severe thunderstorm warning for Darling Downs, Granite Belt
UPDATE: A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued again for the Darling Downs and Granite Belt.
The storms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Toowoomba, Stanthorpe, Oakey, Inglewood, Millmerran, Allora, Clifton and Pittsworth.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees. * Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm. * Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
AROUND 4PM: A severe thunderstorm warning for Toowoomba and parts of the Darling Downs has been cancelled.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the immediate threat of severe thunderstorms has passed, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings will be issued if necessary.
EARLIER: STORMS are forecast for Toowoomba and parts of the Darling Downs this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 1.30pm.
It warns severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones that could affect Toowoomba, Warwick, Stanthorpe, Oakey and Pittsworth over the next several hours.
A more detailed warning was issued for parts of the Southern Downs and southen parts of south east Queensland.
It warns thunderstorms are likely to impact on Killarney by 2pm and the area south of Cunninghams Gap by 2.30pm.
The next warnings are due about 2.30pm.
TOP STORIES ONLINE TODAY
- Dash cam busts parking officer ripping off motorist
- Eating cane toads a healthy choice - for you and the planet
- Community pays tribute to Warrego Hwy crash victim
- Truckie accused of hit-and-run cyclist killing in court
- Schoolboy punched in head 20 times over a girl
- Woman hit in head after propeller sliced through plane
- NAYbours: Residents say no to new development