Violence that killed on Manus Island "inevitable"

A HARROWING picture of life on the Manus Island detention centre has come to a Senate Inquiry investigating a February riot at the facility, with 24-year-old Nicole Judge describing the violence that killed an asylum seeker as "inevitable".

Ms Judge worked at the facility for the Salvation Army at the time.

She fronted the inquiry on Friday.

In her submission, she tells of being threatened by four members of Papua New Guinea police, the Salvation Army and facility operators G4S, for reporting assaults by other staff.

Ms Judge said Salvation Army called her "stupid" and said "good lucky" when she attempted to report mistreatment.

A Salvation Army spokesman said all formal mistreatment claims were formally investigated.

"The Salvation Army denies these unfounded and frankly misleading allegations."

Ms Judge said the conditions were "grossly inadequate for human beings".

In one accusation, she said an Australian guard told her, "The Cronulla riots was the best thing to happen to Australia" among other anti-Islamic comments.

Ms Judge said she was also told to carry a rape whistle.

One G4S guard described a certain compound as a "rape dungeon", that Ms Judge should never enter "due to the heightened sexual activity".

Earlier this week, the Salvation Army hit back at allegations its staff member delivered the blow that killed asylum seeker Reza Barati during the riots.

It said the former staffer was attempting to save asylum seekers, not hurt them.

The inquiry is investigating incidents at the Manus Island Detention Centre from February 16 to 18.


Teenager’s frantic search for missing dog hit by car

Premium Content Teenager’s frantic search for missing dog hit by car

A Gatton teenager is frantically searching for her missing greyhound who was hit by...

STOP-GO: Lockyer’s newest traffic lights are switched on

Premium Content STOP-GO: Lockyer’s newest traffic lights are switched on

The newest traffic lights in the Lockyer Valley have been switched on.

Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

Premium Content Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

The Premier has confirmed three new COVID-19 cases overnight