Fisherman spends night in water after boat flips off Coast

UPDATE: A HERVEY Bay man has spent a terrifying night stranded in the ocean after his boat flipped at the weekend.

The fisherman was out on a job when his boat capsized on Saturday night off the coast of Burrum Heads.

He was dehydrated and in shock when emergency crews reached him about 12.20pm on Sunday.

Hervey Bay Water Police officer-in-charge Sergeant Paul Bacon said despite the man spending the night in the water, he had no life threatening injuries.

"When we reached him, he was still in disbelief that the incident occurred," Mr Bacon said.

"After the long exposure to the water, he was dehydrated but had nothing that would be considered life threatening."

After the man's boat capsized, he was unable to get to his radio beacon to send an emergency signal for more than 11 hours.

Using the vessel for support by resting in the middle of it, his body touched water through the whole ordeal. He was finally able to get to to the beacon and alert emergency crews about 11.40am on Sunday.

Forty minutes after that, he was located 10 nautical miles off Burrum Heads.

Mr Bacon said if the man had not reached the beacon, things could have been different.

"There are some vessels that transit through the area, but it's a slim chance he would have been spotted," he said.

"This is a timely reminder that no matter how experienced you are, accidents can happen."

EARLIER: A MAN was stranded in the ocean for 11 hours after his boat capsized about midnight on Saturday.

The man was rescued from the water by Hervey Bay Water Police Sunday morning..

An RACQ LifeFlight Rescue crew was tasked to a search and rescue mission in response to an emergency beacon alert off the coast of Bundaberg.

After 10 hours of treading water overnight, the man located his emergency beacon from his sunken boat and activated it. Emergency crews reached him by 11am less than an hour after receiving the beacon's signal.

Topics:  editors picks fcbreaking fraser coast

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

No Harm done in Gary's switch to organic farming

STILL GOING STRONG: Gary Harm of Mt Whitestone Farms doubts he would still be able to work his family's land, purchased in 1930, if he didn't make the switch to organic farming methods twenty five years ago.

Gary Harm of Mt Whitestone Farms doubts he would still be farming.

Rhonda McLucas going coast to coast across the UK for a cure

ROCKY ROAD: Gatton Real Estate principal Rhonda McLucas undertook the West Highland Way walk in 2017.

Rhonda McLucas is taking on the Coast to Coast Walk for a cause.

Awarded for passion

DEDICATION RECOGNISED: Lockyer District State High teacher Belinda Try, centre, holds her Certificate of Commendation that she was presented at a ceremony in Brisbane.

Teacher's passion and leadership recognised

Local Partners