News

Toowoomba by-pass in jeopardy as Feds backtrack on promise

The plans look good for the second range crossing but will government arguments mean it doesn't go ahead?
The plans look good for the second range crossing but will government arguments mean it doesn't go ahead?

A ROW has developed between the Australian and Queensland Governments which threatens the timing of the proposed Toowoomba Second Range crossing.

The Federal Government has frozen funding to the project with each side blaming the other.

Earlier this year a gaggle of Federal and State minister gathered in Toowoomba to announce the $1.6b project, with $1.28b of that federal money and the balance to come from state coffers.

The projected completion date for the long-promised infrastructure was 2018.

Now it seems that date is in jeopardy and both parties are scrambling for the high moral ground amid feverish backtracking.

At issue is a further $123m which the Federal Government said Queensland had now asked for.

Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss said this request was despite Queensland's own projections of a surplus of "hundreds of millions of dollars" on toll revenue which the state would pocket.

"It also appears that Queensland plans to defer its own expenditure on the project for eight years," Mr Truss said.

Mr Truss said Queensland had given them "scant information" on the financial assumptions behind the project despite many months of repeated requests.

"This week's letter to the Queensland Treasury is the latest of several letters requesting this information," he said.

 Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls said Canberra had frozen funds for the Crossing and he had requested a meeting with Mr Truss to find out why.

"We are quite disturbed over what the reason is.  It hasn't been made clear to us," Mr Nicholls said.

Mr Nicholls said the Queensland government remained committed to the project.

"We've got $342 million in our budget," he said.

"We have been working very hard to make sure the paperwork is in place and we can get going in building this vital project."

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland has put the blame on the Feds, demanding Canberra sticks to its core election commitment of funding the Crossing.

CCIQ General Manager of Advocacy Nick Behrens said the decision to freeze funding commitment was potentially a huge blow for Queensland's business community.

"The second range crossing for Toowoomba was a core election promise to Queensland during last year's election campaign," Mr Behrens said.

"It is extremely disappointing that the Federal Government is now reneging on its commitment."

The hold-up comes just weeks after the State Government chose three consortiums to bid for the Request for Proposal stage of the project.

Topics:  federal government queensland government toowoomba second range crossing


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Laidley hosts state touch football trials

IN FORM: Nikki Cox in action at the National Touch Rugby Australia's Queensland State Trials in Laidley on Saturday.

Laidley hosted the NTRA's Queensland State Trials on Saturday.

Running mums to take on Hawaii

Tara Stone (left) and Chris Groves will head to Hawaii in April to complete the Hapalua half Marathon.

Tara and Chris will tackle the tough Hapaula half marathon.

Toogoolawah firies raise thousands

GOOD EFFORT: Member for Nanango, Deb Frecklington congradulated the Toogoolawah Fire Brigade social club for raising another $30,000 for the childrens burns unit.

Toogoolawah Fire Brigade Social Club's solid fundraising effort.

Local Partners

Laidley hosts state touch football trials

The athletic prowess of the state's top touch football players was on show for all to see in Laidley.

REVIEW: Under the Gun doco looks at right to bear arms

ARMED: A still from the 2016 documentary film Under the Gun by Stephanie Soechtig.

An in-depth look into America's gun culture.

Messing with your head

MIND BLOWN: What could be weirder than the realisation that we have another completely separate brain and nervous system than the one originating in our heads?

Fascinating connection between your gut and your brain

Sir Elton John coming to Mackay: What you need to know

Sir Elton will come to Mackay and Cairns in September.

Tickets to the concert go on sale on March 14

'I wasn't naked': Blanca Blanco speaks out

BLANCA Blanco made headlines around the world after 'accidentally' flashing, but she says she was actually wearing a nude bodysuit.

‘IT’S A LITTLE SAD’: Trump makes Oscars bungle all about him

US President Donald Trump claims Hollywood's elite were too busy mocking him to pay attention on Oscars night.

Donald Trump ‘explains’ Oscars stuff up.

Lama and Sarah’s ‘epic’ MKR fail

My Kitchen Rules contestants Lama and Sarah.

Tempers flare as Lebanese feast turns into an epic fail.

Oscars 2017: How did biggest award get stuffed up?

Presenter Warren Beatty shows the envelope with the actual winner for best picture as host Jimmy Kimmel, left, looks on at the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The winner was originally announced as La La Land, but was later corrected to Moonlight.

'Guys in headsets starting buzzing around. They took the envelope.'

Lisa Curry can't marry her fiance

Lisa Curry breaks down in the jungle.

Lisa Curry says she can’t get married to her fiance

The true cause of the Oscars bungle

Faye Dunaway, left, and Warren Beatty present the award for best picture at the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.

The Oscars ended with a moment that left everyone speechless.

HUGE OSCARS FAIL: Wrong film handed Best Picture award

Presenter Warren Beatty shows the envelope with the actual winner for best picture as host Jimmy Kimmel, left, looks on at the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The winner was originally announced as La La Land, but was later corrected to Moonlight.

IN A monumental stuff-up, La La Land incorrectly named Best Picture.

Casino boss loses $4m on waterfront Sunshine Coast home

The owner of this stunning Noosa home accepted much less than he had initially wanted for the home.

When illness struck owner forced to try and cash out of property

Mining homes dive: $600k homes sell for $120k-$300k

18 Yeates Street, Moranbah sold for $135,000 in December, after being repossessed by a bank. The owners bought for $545,000 in August, 2011.

The economy still has two speeds, but with a painful twist

Mackay's property market climbing like a Rocket Man

Renewed confidence in Mackay means more homes are being snapped up by those eager to plant their roots in the region.

There's movement in the real estate sector and it's all positive.

'Why we drove 800km to buy a treehouse with a disco ball'

The new owners have planned a few updates, but will stick with much of the original design.

A couple travelled almost 800km for the home of their dreams.

The trick homeowners are using to buy more properties

Chantelle Subritzky leaves her home each week for Airbnb guests.

Queenslanders are going down this path to help pay their mortgages

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!