Toowoomba man fighting for life after kitchen fire

BREAKING: A Toowoomba man is fighting for life in a Brisbane hospital after a fire at a Rangeville home yesterday.

Emergency services were called to the Perth St home about 4.20pm Sunday after a fire broke out in the kitchen area.

It's believed woodchips in an electric oven caught alight, engulfing the home in smoke and causing a pot to catch alight.

The man and another occupant of the home extinguished the fire before Queensland Fire and Emergency Services arrived on scene.

Paramedics treated the two occupants at the scene for smoke inhalation before the man in his 50s was rushed to Toowoomba Hospital in a critical condition.

Police said the man was later airlifted to a Brisbane hospital where he remains on life support in a medically induced coma.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

Topics:  queensland ambulance service queensland fire and emergency services rangeville toowoomba toowoomba police

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Sharing cultures through food

DIG IN: Lockyer Valley Community Centre volunteers at the Harmony Day food tasting

Community centre hosts Harmony Day event

Gordon reflects on farming life in the Lockyer

LOOKING BACK: Laidley's Gordon Niebling says he has loved his farming life and living in the Lockyer Valley.

The self-proclaimed 'Jack of all trades”, Gordon Niebling.

Clare Atkinson Journalism Scholarship needs your support

IN HONOUR: Brightview's Lesley Atkinson is urging the public to help continue the Clare Atkinson Memorial Scholarship.

Help continue Clare Atkinson's legacy and the future of journalism.

Local Partners