REANNAH Mitchell held on to her two-and-a-half-year-old son Domenick as tightly as she could as she fell on a set of stairs trying to protect him from a brown snake.
She said there was no mistaking what had tried to attack Domenick outside their Collinsville home.
"I saw something moving and striking at him," Ms Mitchell said.
"As soon as I realised what it was I picked him up and took a step back and tripped on the stairs but then quickly got up and grabbed him and checked his body.
"We couldn't find anything so we took him to the hospital.
"They checked his obs and everything was fine, but then he did a urine test and it came back positive for a brown snake.
"He kept pointing to his right leg and we could faintly see one dot and then another dot."
Ms Mitchell said Domenick had remained calm throughout the terrifying experience, which occurred about 8pm on Wednesday in Collinsville.
They were transported from Collinsville Hospital to Mackay Base Hospital by the RACQ-CQ Rescue helicopter crew about 11.30pm.
She said no more venom had been found in his system since the bite.
"His results came back and there was nothing, so they took his bandage off his leg.
"It was scary seeing a snake on the stairs," Ms Mitchell said.
"We were both shocked.
"Because we have a kitten, he (Domenick) thought it was the kitten's tail, so he tried grabbing it."
Ms Mitchell said it had been a heartbreaking few days for her and her family, not knowing how the snake's bite had affected her son.
Domenick was still unfazed by what had happened yesterday as he played with the children's ward toys with a big grin on his face.
The family returned to Collinsville yesterday.
They thanked their supportive family for their thoughts and prayers during their difficult time, as well as the CQ Rescue crew and Mackay Base Hospital staff.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.