IT IS often said that bad luck comes in threes. And that's something Murphys Creek resident Les Collins knows all too well.
His string of ill luck started when a cattle dog attacked his Chinese crested powder-puff Pepper.
The attack left his dog with a broken leg and its pensioner owner with a large veterinary bill.
Then, while shopping in Toowoomba, smoke poured from his engine.
"That's when I realised I'd blown my head gasket," Mr Collins said.
"I spoke to a mechanic and he said I would need to replace the car."
The final blow was when the caravan he lived in burnt down on a steaming hot Saturday, October 25.
"I've got a shipping container with a lounge where I go to watch TV and relax.
"I finished my tea and I thought it was starting to rain.
"As I got out of the chair the power went off and I saw that the whole thing was ablaze.
"It was extremely hot but I managed to put it out with the garden hose.
"The insulation was like volcano lava and the fumes off it were astronomical.
"One piece was so hot that it melted the aluminium roof and the polystyrene went straight through the mattress, the bed and the floor of the caravan."
Mr Collins lost everything in the fire, but remains upbeat.
"I'm one of those people who looks on the brighter sides of things and gets on with life.
He said St Vincent de Paul and Lifeline had helped with blankets, food and other necessities like kitchen items.
But he needs all the help he can get.
A friend has given him the use of another caravan to stay in but he needs new awnings to deal with the heat and rain.
If you can help Les with materials for the awnings phone him on 0427 888 580.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.