Teen who escaped watchhouse is back in custody

UPDATE: A TEENAGE boy arrested over a violent attempted carjacking is back in police custody following a sneaky escape from a Queensland watchhouse.

The 15-year-old faced court on Saturday morning over an allegedly attempted carjacking on the Gold Coast on Friday.

He had been ordered to remain in custody, but posed as another prisoner to leave the Southport Watchhouse before jumping a fence to freedom with police officers in hot pursuit.

Police confirmed on Sunday the boy had self-presented to the watchhouse with his lawyer about 11.45am.

Child Protection and Investigation Unit is now investigating and police are reviewing the circumstances surrounding how the boy came to escape.

Acting Inspector Brett MacGibbon from South Eastern Region Police admitted on Saturday it was not a good look for the QPS.

"It is a bit embarrassing," he said.

"I would hope that it wouldn't be that easy."

He said it appeared the wanted teen had taken the place of another juvenile who had been granted bail.

When his name was called to be released, the fugitive walked out instead.

By the time watch-house officers realised their error, he had a 30-second head start and jumped a fence before running down the street.

The boy was arrested on Friday afternoon after almost 24 hours on the run following an incident at Helensvale which left a good Samaritan with stab wounds and a young girl in a coma.

The drama unfolded when a 24-year-old woman stopped to give two teens a lift from Harbour Town Shopping Centre to an address in Helensvale on Thursday night.

The teens allegedly then tried to carjack the woman, who sped off, knocking the young girl to the ground.

She remains in hospital fighting for her life.

Appearing for the young boy in Southport Children's Court on Saturday morning, defence lawyer Michael Gatenby said the case against his client was 'particularly weak' as there was no allegation he was the one armed or the individual who made threats.

Mr Gatenby made an application for bail - which was opposed by police.

Magistrate Dermott Kehoe adjourned his decision until Wednesday.

EARLIER: A TEENAGE boy arrested over a violent attempted carjacking on the Gold Coast is back on the run after an embarrassing bungle at the Southport Watchhouse.

The 15-year-old faced court on Saturday morning and had been ordered to remain in custody, but posed as another prisoner to leave the Watchhouse before jumping a fence to freedom with police officers in hot pursuit.

He evaded them on the busy streets of Southport.

Attempts to find the teen have so far been unsuccessful.

Police have urged him to hand himself in.

Acting Inspector Brett MacGibbon from South Eastern Region Police admitted it was not a good look for the QPS.

"It is a bit embarrassing," he said.

"I would hope that it wouldn't be that easy."

He said it appeared the wanted teen had taken the place of another juvenile who had been granted bail.

When his name was called to be released, the fugitive walked out instead.

By the time watch-house officers realised their error, he had a 30-second head start and jumped a fence before running down the street.

The incident is now the subject of an official internal investigation.

The boy was arrested on Friday afternoon after almost 24 hours on the run following an incident at Helensvale which left a good Samaritan with stab wounds and a young girl in a coma.

The drama unfolded when a 24-year-old woman stopped to give two teens a lift from Harbour Town Shopping Centre to an address in Helensvale on Thursday night.

The teens allegedly then tried to carjack the woman, who sped off, knocking the young girl to the ground.

She remains in hospital fighting for her life.

Appearing for the young boy in Southport Children's Court on Saturday morning, defence lawyer Michael Gatenby said the case against his client was 'particularly weak' as there was no allegation he was the one armed or the individual who made threats.

Mr Gatenby made an application for bail - which was opposed by police.

Magistrate Dermott Kehoe adjourned his decision until Wednesday.

News Corp Australia

$16 million to target diseases

$16 million to target diseases

Tackling pests and diseases together

Breaking the Ice Forums educate communities

Breaking the Ice Forums educate communities

Sergeant Nadine Webster says information is power.

Lockyer Valley Demons are thinking outside the square

Lockyer Valley Demons are thinking outside the square

The club are starting an AFL 9s program in 2018.

Local Partners