State-wide drink driving blitz kicks off today
IF YOU have had a few drinks and are considering getting behind the wheel - think again.
That's the message from Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, who launched Operation Drink Drive 2, a state-wide three day drink driving blitz this morning.
Operation Drink Drive 2 started at midnight and will run until 11.59pm on Saturday.
Asst Comm Hartley said officers across the state - including Traffic and Highway Patrol and local police - will focus on breath-testing drivers on major highways and suburban roads.
He said this will include mobile and stationary random breath-testing as well as random drug-testing and general traffic-enforcement duties.
"Currently our rate of drink-driving charges in relation to breath tests is 1:259, which suggests the message is getting through to most motorists," he said.
"With the NSW road toll currently at 255 fatal crashes and 272 deaths, being 13 crashes and 10 deaths down on this time last year, this operation is about reducing the risk of alcohol-related fatal crashes and bringing these numbers down even further.
"Those that continue to drink drive not only pose a risk to themselves and their passengers, but also to other innocent road users, which is totally unacceptable.
"I don't want to see anyone charged over the three days - which is why we are putting out the message now, for people to take note."
Operation Drink Drive 1 ran in February 2014, with officers conducting 249,536 breath tests and charging 124 motorists with drink-driving offences.