Stags secure win in narrow match

THE Lowood Stags Reserve grade played Rosewood on Sunday at home.

The Stags coming off of two losses needed a win against the fifth placed Roosters to get their season back on track.

Throughout the first 15 minutes the Stags had good field position but could not crack Rosewood's defence, who were showing they turned up to play.

After a mistake from the Stags and back to back penalties the Roosters posted first point and led 6-0, five minutes later the Stags were attacking the line again and a grubber put threw by Wayne Hayes saw the Roosters knock on and James Lewis dived on the loose ball to score the Stags first try.

The rest of the half saw the Stags not completing sets and the Roosters were given the opportunity to attack the line.

The Stags defence held strong and with seven minutes to go in the first half Josh Mair was sent to the bin for 10 for an alleged elbow.

Five minutes later Josh Tabke was also given 10 for a professional foul. With only 11 men the Stags managed to score on the siren when Mick Frohloff crossed from a dummy half scoot to make the half time score 8-6 to the Stags.

The second half saw the Stags with only 11 men cross the line early, when James Lewis ran onto a Glen Torpy short ball to claim his second try to make the score 14-6.

Then some very poor ball handling gave the Roosters some good field position and they capitalised and closed the gap to 14-10.

The kick off then saw the Stags give away penalties which piggy back Rosewood down the field and attacking the Stags line, the Roosters finally got threw out wide which saw the score even at 14-all with 15 minutes to go.

Both sides then started dropping the ball at crucial times and a scuffle saw Ray Erbacher and Rosewood player Mick Browning given 10 in the bin. Rosewood had a shot a field goal but missed and the Stags had possession again.

A penalty against Rosewood saw the Stags start from half way, the Stags threw the ball wide with Chris Carey going down the side line picking up a support player and after the ball went through eight pairs of hands back across the field Mick Frohloff scored his second try to take the Stags to a 20-14 lead with five to go.

The Stags held Rosewood out and were unlucky not to score moments later but the siren went and the final score was 20-14.

Coach John Harrison was unhappy with the Stags completion rate being 16 from 36. “It was an ugly win, but you take those,” Harrison said.

Man of the Match was Michael Hart. With strong performances from Jamie Holdsworth and Josh Tabke.

The Stags Reserve grades next game is against West End at West End Saturday, May 22 at 5.30pm, while the Stags Second Division take on Norths on the same day at the Oval North Ipswich reserve at 4.30pm.

Alert: Storms, heatwaves and falling bats

Premium Content Alert: Storms, heatwaves and falling bats

Storms, heatwaves and falling bats predicted

Carols, markets to provide a weekend of festive cheer

Premium Content Carols, markets to provide a weekend of festive cheer

There is plenty to do this weekend in the Lockyer Valley including markets just in...

Council holds special, closed meeting to discuss water

Premium Content Council holds special, closed meeting to discuss water

The special, closed meeting was held to discuss the water co-operatives business...