FREEDOM from a compression suit has come at the right time of year for recovering burns victim Matthew Richards.
The 16-year-old yesterday finished his final Year 11 exam at Harristown State High School after returning to full-time study at the start of the year.
His study has been interrupted with medical appointments and days off to manage his low heat tolerance during hot weather.
"When I get hot I don't cool down as easily," Matthew said.
He had been wearing a compression suit over nearly all of his body except his shins until about six weeks ago.
The scars caused by an explosion at a backyard party have been laid bare for his classmates to see since the suit came off.
He said he was anxious about what people would think.
But his peers and school have been very supportive.
"Just because they are looking doesn't mean they are having negative thoughts about it."
The talented soccer player plans to get back to the sport he loves next year.
It was only two weeks before the incident in August last year that he had represented the Darling Downs.
"I really want to get back to that level."
TOP STORIES ONLINE
- Mother charged after baby left in drain for five days
- Neighbours say shot man charged at police with 'pole'
- Girl, 4, almost drowns in swimming pool
- Quick action saves valuable wheat crop from fire
- Man loses home in suspicious late night blaze
- Moving tribute to inspirational rural firies leader
- Family recalls devoted pilot killed in gyrocopter crash
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.