Clive Palmer.
Clive Palmer. DAVE HUNT

'Clive Palmer wouldn't miss his Canberra debut for world'

CLIVE Palmer will be in Canberra 'with bells on' after the Sunshine Coast's newest MP dismissed reports he will call a sickie because of a severe cold.

Mr Palmer's spokesman on Monday morning dismissed weekend reports that the mining magnate would not be able to attend his first sitting of Parliament on Tuesday.

Mr Palmer tweeted on November 9 that he was looking forward to being sworn in as the new Member for Fairfax but on Sunday cancelled a television interview due to illness.

But his spokesman said Mr Palmer 'was fine' and would be in Parliament as well as speaking at the National Press Club.

Fairfax reports that Mr Palmer was a no-show at a Parliament House induction briefing organised for him, sending a staff member to take notes in his place.

Mr Palmer's seat was still undecided when the two-day induction of new lower house MPs was carried out in October.

To make up for this, the Department of Parliamentary Services arranged a one-on-one briefing to walk Mr Palmer through the workings of the building and services such as computer systems and security.

When asked if he skipped the induction because he did not think it important, Mr Palmer replied ''That's rubbish'', saying his staff member ''happened to be there because his daughter lives in Canberra''.

There has been intense focus on Mr Palmer by the national media in recent days with some questioning his commitment to attend Parliament regularly.

Mr Palmer has made it clear he will not be 'living in Canberra' like some MPs but will attend Parliament as required.

Book nook thrives in yoga den

Book nook thrives in yoga den

Down a hidden laneway, a collection of books awaits

'Your son is going to die today'

'Your son is going to die today'

Just 17 when cancer hit, his mum is now on a mission to help others.

Crowd continues to swell following 100th anniversary

Crowd continues to swell following 100th anniversary

Interest in the dawn service has remained high after the centenary