School taking donations to help family that lost everything

TOTAL LOSS: This house at King St, Howard came crushing to the ground after a fire started from its garage. Everything inside was destroyed.
TOTAL LOSS: This house at King St, Howard came crushing to the ground after a fire started from its garage. Everything inside was destroyed. Alistair Brightman

COMMUNITY members have sent messages of condolence and offers of help to the Howard family who lost everything in a house fire.

A two-storey home in King St that belonged to a family of eight burnt to the ground on Friday.

After dropping their children off to school, a couple returned home to find their beloved property burnt to the ground.

A firefighter described the damage to the Howard home at King St as a "total loss" after a wild blaze ripped through the two storey building.

Torbanlea State School, which is attended by the family's children, took to social media to advise the public that donations can be made through the school.

"As you may have heard, one of our families lost their house in a fire," a post said on the school's Facebook page.

"Many people have been making very generous offers, which we thank you for.

"At this stage, the family are not sure what they will need but we will keep the community informed."

Anyone with clothing, furniture or goods that they would wish to donate is encouraged to contact the school office.

Crystal Lyness, a neighbour to the destroyed home, said how beautiful the house looked before the flames engulfed it.

"We live around the corner from this family and are so devastated for their loss," she wrote on the Fraser Coast Chronicle Facebook page.

"They worked so hard to make that house a home, we loved seeing all the improvements as we drove or walked past."

Kate Bath also commented on how well renovated the home had been.

"I don't know the homeowners but they had done such an amazing job renovating the house, it was beautiful," she said.

Kman KC saw the incident unfold on Friday morning, and said it was heartbreaking.

"I feel for these people," she said.

"I do many walks with my kids and they always say hi.

"I have even talked about what a beautiful house it is.

"I know they've worked so hard on getting it to how gorgeous it was."

Topics:  fcemergency fcfire hervey bay house fire

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Next generation of yogis learn in the Lockyer

TUNING IN: Sarah Weber runs her kids yoga class once a week, each term from her Cura Life Studio in Gatton.

Yoga teacher Sarah Weber shares the benefits of starting yoga early.

All's Wells for Madi after third national silver medal

RISING STAR: Lockyer District Athletic Club's Madison Wells celebrates her latest silver medal success with mum Sharyn and dad Lee in Melbourne.

Madison Wells won silver at the Australian Multi-events titles.

Bid on hot cross buns to help raise funds

GOING HOT: The Old Fernvale Bakery aim to raise $40,000 for the Lady Cilento Childrens Hospital by donating $1 from every pack of hot cross buns sold. Pictured here are Lyn and Bill Rose with the latest hot cross bun creation, cranberry, pistachio and white chocolate.

Help the Old Fernvale bakery get over the line.

Local Partners