Clifford Paul Giblett, 41, of Andergrove.
Clifford Paul Giblett, 41, of Andergrove. Facebook

Repeat drink-driver ignored alcohol interlock condition

AN Andergrove man with a long history of drink-driving has been convicted of driving without a required alcohol ignition interlock.

Interlocks are a breath test device linked to the ignition system of a vehicle and designed to prevent it starting if the driver's blood alcohol level exceeds zero.

Clifford Paul Giblett, 41, faced Mackay Magistrates Court on Wednesday, and pleaded guilty to driving a vehicle without a prescribed interlock device.

Police were patrolling the Bruce Highway near Rockhampton on November 26, 2017 when they pulled Giblett over, prosecutor Shelby Larcombe told the court.

After noticing an interlock condition on Giblett's licence, police questioned him "in relation to driving motor vehicle that was not fitted with the device".

"The defendant stated that he was unaware he was required to have the interlock device fitted to the vehicle," Ms Larcombe said.

Queensland Corrective Services Probation and Parole department did not to take breach action against Giblett, despite the offence occurring while he was on probation.

Defence solicitor Chris Colwill said Giblett had been on the road for work as a scaffolder and was "unaware the work vehicles required an interlock".

Magistrate Damien Dwyer told Giblett "you of all people need an interlock device with your history, with the number of drink-drivings you've had".

He took into account an early plea, fined Giblett $900 and disqualified him from driving for three months.


Teenager’s frantic search for missing dog hit by car

Premium Content Teenager’s frantic search for missing dog hit by car

A Gatton teenager is frantically searching for her missing greyhound who was hit by...

STOP-GO: Lockyer’s newest traffic lights are switched on

Premium Content STOP-GO: Lockyer’s newest traffic lights are switched on

The newest traffic lights in the Lockyer Valley have been switched on.

Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

Premium Content Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

The Premier has confirmed three new COVID-19 cases overnight