Queen admitted to hospital for first time in 10 years

THE Queen has been admitted to hospital in London suffering from gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said today.

The palace said the Queen had been admitted to Edward VII Hospital in London in order to be assessed after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.

All of the 86-year-old monarch's engagements this week have been cancelled or will be postponed. This includes a planned trip to Rome.

News of the Queen's illness emerged on Friday evening after she was forced to cancel a trip to Swansea for St David's day.

Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and large intestine, most commonly caused in this country by the norovirus and food poisoning.

A Palace spokesman said: "The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII's Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.

"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled."

It is the first time in ten years that the Queen has been admitted to hospital.


Statewide audit after fears nurses let down by masks

Premium Content Statewide audit after fears nurses let down by masks

Statewide audit recommended into fit testing of Qld nurses’ masks

TOP 10: Queensland’s best U16 cricketing teens

Premium Content TOP 10: Queensland’s best U16 cricketing teens

An electric bunch of teenagers more than rose to the occasion when they hit the...

Tributes flow after WWII digger dies

Premium Content Tributes flow after WWII digger dies

The war veteran will be remembered as ‘King of the Kids’