PREMIER Campbell Newman has denied a Lockyer Valley Regional Council request to conduct another independent review on the 2011 flooding in the Lockyer Valley.
In May LVRC had requested a review of the January 10, 2011 flooding of the Lockyer Creek between Helidon and Grantham in the wake of the Grantham cancer cluster claims which council said was harming agriculture in the region.
At the time, Mayor Steve Jones said new information had come to light which suggested quarry works in the region may have contributed to the scale of the flooding in the area with 12 confirmed deaths at Grantham and another at Helidon.
However in a letter to council dated August 4 and tabled at last Wednesday's council meeting, Mr Newman said the matter had been investigated thoroughly by the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry and extensive work was completed or in progress into the flooding in the Lockyer Valley.
"While I understand the anguish and anxiety that must still be felt by many members of the Lockyer Valley community, I do not believe that another costly investigation will present any new findings that will contribute to the psychological healing of affected residents," Mr Newman said in the letter.
The premier said the State Government had given LVRC $3m in funding since the floods as well as providing flood mapping and subsidising flood mitigation works.
He said LVRC had commissioned the Lockyer Valley Flood Risk Management Study which assessed the 2011 floods as "one in 500" chance with the Grantham event "one in 2000" with rainfall in some parts of the catchment "rare than one in 1000".
"I suggest that the findings and recommendations from this study, when finalised, be reviewed by LVRC to determine suitable steps that can be taken to improve the flood hazard risks across the catchment," he said.
Mr Newman said interactive flood maps were available on the Department of Natural Resources website.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.