Pacific Island horticulture worker cap removed

FARMERS in the horticulture sector will be able to access more seasonal workers from the Pacific Islands, after the Abbott government removed caps on worker numbers.

Employment Minister Eric Abetz announced the lifting of the sector's previous cap of 2000 yesterday, but the overall 12,000-place limit on the Pacific Seasonal Worker Program would not change.

The policy change follows a World Bank report released earlier this week that found backpackers and the use of illegal workers were undermining demand for Pacific workers.

While the program allows up to 12,000 Pacific Islanders and Timor-Leste residents to work in Australia for six months, the horticulture program has failed to fill the 2000 places originally made available when it started five years ago.

But Senator Abetz said the "commonsense change" was made after the government listened to "community concerns".

He said it would stay "demand-driven" and employers would have to "exhaust" the local job market before recruiting overseas.


Lockyer art gallery returns with new exhibition

Premium Content Lockyer art gallery returns with new exhibition

The touring exhibition showcases the work of 33 professional artists, some of whom...

Warrant issued for man’s arrest after failed court showing

Premium Content Warrant issued for man’s arrest after failed court showing

The 24-year-old was to appear in Gatton court on Monday for a string of offences...

Police call for witnesses after alleged assault in park

Premium Content Police call for witnesses after alleged assault in park

Local police allege the assault occurred in Dawson Phipps Park. FULL DETAILS: