No new solariums allowed from the start of 2013

NO NEW solariums will be allowed in Queensland from the start of 2013.

Queensland Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said new regulations meant the supply, use or ownership of a commercial solarium was against the law.

This covered all sun-beds and stand-up tanning machines that rely on ultraviolent radiation to brown the skin of clients.

For the 80 licenced operators of solariums, this means they will not be able to replace equipment as it breaks down.

Mr Springborg said those under 35 who used a solarium increased their risk of skin cancer by 75%.

"This will prevent the establishment of new commercial enterprises based on exposure to ultraviolet radiation, as well as the expansion of those business that currently exist across the state," he said.

"The ban will not apply to a solarium used exclusively by a health practitioner for a diagnostic or therapeutic procedure, or privately-owned solaria for the personal use of an individual."

The new regulations come into force on January 1.

Topics:  lawrence springborg skin cancer

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Kilcoy gets a run at history

HONOURED: Somerset's Matthew Heck will carry the Queens Baton through Kilcoy next Tuesday.

Queen's Baton Relay celebrations to hit town next week.

Rain gives a boost to prices

ON THE RISE: Recent rain in the state is driving demand for cattle.

Cattle prices recover from last year's fall

Have you seen the car connected to a Laidley robbery?

Police are appealing for information on a break and enter of the QN Hotel in Laidley.

If you know anything contact police or Crime Stoppers.

Local Partners