A NINE-month-old boy is in hospital after swallowing a button battery.

The boy, from the Sunshine Coast, swallowed the object at about 1.40pm on Monday and was taken to Nambour General Hospital.

Shortly after 3pm he was airlifted to the Royal Children's Hospital by the RACQ CareFlight Rescue to undergo further treatment.

He travelled in a stable condition with his mother by his side.

It was the second such incident on the Sunshine Coast this year.

In June, four-year-old Tewantin girl Summer Steer died after swallowing a lithium battery the size of a button.

It's prompted a warning on the dangers of the tiny toxic objects.

"Button batteries can lodge in the oesophagus of infants and cause serious injury or even death if they go undetected," CareFlight's Chief Medical Officer Doctor Allan MacKillop said.

"If they become stuck in the oesophagus they can immediately begin to burn, doing serious damage," Dr MacKillop said.

Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

"Even if you only suspect the child has swallowed the battery, you should immediately take them to your GP or a hospital emergency ward.

"Early diagnosis is the key," he said.

Symptoms include: gagging, vomiting or spitting, abdominal pain and persistent drooling.


Lockyer schools get $1.3 million for refurbishments

Lockyer schools get $1.3 million for refurbishments

Works were started at schools over the Easter holiday period.

Laidley stalwart has eye on reaching 10,000-run mark

Laidley stalwart has eye on reaching 10,000-run mark

The Laidley stalwart has no intention to give the game up yet.

Young Hawks still have plenty in tank after perfect start

Young Hawks still have plenty in tank after perfect start

The young Hawks won their fifth straight game on the weekend.

Local Partners