OUCH! After a sweet run of good waves, we've had a bad run of next to zero.
All is not lost, however. Next week is showing some real promise, with the next monsoon burst occurring this weekend.
Some are even tipping a little south to creep in over the next day or two. That would take a big bend in the outbound swell, but these things can happen.
Have a look below for my call.
Agnes Water to Coolangatta
Saturday: Nil wind at dawn is almost a guarantee of onshore through the day. Light easterlies will pick up not long after sun-up and hit the 10-15 knot mark by the afternoon. Conditions will be sloppy as almost nowhere is protected from easterly winds. Surf size will be a metre or less, (likely less), with the afternoon providing best conditions for aerialists and ramp riders. It's going to continue being hot as well and there's a 40% chance of showers (most probably in the arvy).
Sunday: Early NW-NE breezes will quickly tend easterly and get up to 15 knots by the afternoon. Swell size will continue to be small, a metre or less, and badly wind affected. Yet another hot day is on the cards and there's a smaller chance of an afternoon shower.
Tweed Heads to Coffs
Saturday: As always near the border, conditions will generally be like Coolangatta. There's a remote chance though that some pale southerly swell may trickle in. That would be most welcome. Otherwise I'm going to say it'll be a metre or less with east to NE winds in the 10-15 knot range all the way down to Coffs. The surf (if any) will be a metre or less and the conditions desperate. It'll be a hot day and the chance of an afternoon shower remains fairly high.
Sunday: Again, border areas will be similar to Coolangatta. Further south, I'm not expecting any joy either. With NE to northerly winds of 15 knots plus and little if any swell (a metre or less), things could certainly be better. It's going to be hot again and an afternoon shower would be welcome.
It's never fun to issue a forecast like this, crew. Hey, I surf too and sometimes it's more fun to wake up to a surprise!
Look to the middle of next week for some possible joy.
There may be a cyclone the other side of Noumea wedging into the Tasman high, freshening east to SE winds. That might just bring us some waves.
Southeast Coast Waters, Double Island Point to Point Danger
Saturday: light and variable easterly winds rising to 10-15 knots by the afternoon.
Byron Coast, Cape Byron to Coffs Harbour
Saturday: Light and variable east to NE winds tending 10-15 knots by the afternoon.
Disclaimer: This forecast is prepared the previous Thursday in order to satisfy newspaper production requirements. As conditions may change, it is always recommended that you take a good look before ever entering a surf zone.