FAR FROM CLOSED: Grantham resident Danny McGuire is calling for a judicial inquiry after the release of the Coroner's report into flood deaths.
FAR FROM CLOSED: Grantham resident Danny McGuire is calling for a judicial inquiry after the release of the Coroner's report into flood deaths.

New calls for fresh inquiry

Kerry O'Neill

Journalist

 

CLOSURE has come for many as a result of the findings of the Coroners Inquest into 25 flood deaths.

But Grantham resident Danny McGuire is just one of a group of people calling for a judicial inquiry into the events of January 2011.

State Coroner Michael Barnes last week found the 25 people who perished in the January floods died as a result of drowning and further pronounced the three missing victims of the flood deceased.

Mr McGuire said the inquiry had not brought closure for himself and other families in the Lockyer Valley and vowed to fight on as none of the inquiries held to date had all of the available information before them.

"I know not everyone is with me on this, but I feel I have to get some answers," Mr McGuire said.

"I am pushing for criminal charges to be brought against Wagner's Quarries, the QFRS, Disaster Management and the Lockyer Valley Regional Council, because there is more to the story."

Mr McGuire has the support of the Member for Lockyer Ian Rickuss, who has questioned the command structure and availability of information coming from the Police and Queensland Fire and Rescue Service communication centres which he said, "seemed to be lacking" at the time.

"I find it difficult to accept, in finding the timeline of events, with the first flooding at Esk around midday and proceeding to Toowoomba and Murphys Creek at 1.30pm, and further down the valley until Grantham was inundated about 4pm, that more anticipation about what did happen, could not have been predicted," Mr Rickuss said.

Mr Rickuss made the call for a judicial inquiry when he addressed State Parliament last Tuesday night, where he referred to information in the Coroner's Inquest as damning.

"This (the Coroner's Report) has left a lot of unanswered questions for many families in the Lockyer Valley and surrounds," Mr Rickuss said.

"It really is disappointing.

"Members of my community have been calling for a judicial inquiry into this, and I am going to have to support them in these calls."

Mr McGuire has still to put to rest the events surrounding the death of his wife, Llync-Chainn Clarke- Jibson and her two children, 12-year-old Gary Jibson and five-year-old Jocelyn Jibson who died after the Rural Fire Brigade vehicle the family tried to escape floodwaters in was swept away in the torrent.

A spokesman from the Queensland Department of Justice and Attorney General said a full coronial inquest had been held and the Newman Government has no plans to hold another judicial inquiry.


Rising Lockyer golfer teams up with Aussie cricketing legend

Premium Content Rising Lockyer golfer teams up with Aussie cricketing legend

IN an unlikely match up, a Lockyer Valley golfer has teamed up with an iconic...

FORECAST: Why not everyone will receive rain this week

Premium Content FORECAST: Why not everyone will receive rain this week

YESTERDAY’S weather events are a taste of what’s yet to come. But here’s why some...

INLAND RAIL: How flooding, crossings will impact local towns

Premium Content INLAND RAIL: How flooding, crossings will impact local towns

FOREST Hill residents have raised flooding concerns about a huge Inland Rail...