Police investigating the scene of an alleged assault on a 15-year-old Warwick girl on Percy St in the early hours of October 10, 2017.
Police investigating the scene of an alleged assault on a 15-year-old Warwick girl on Percy St in the early hours of October 10, 2017. Sophie Lester

Mum's heartache as daughter, 15, fights for life

A WARWICK mum has been left shattered after receiving the 4am doorknock no parent ever wants to endure.

The woman was awoken on Tuesday morning to the news her vibrant 15-year-old daughter had been viciously bashed in a Warwick street while walking home from a party.

Hours later the young girl was forced to fight for her life and underwent emergency surgery for a brain injury.

The girl - who cannot be named for legal reasons - was allegedly kicked and punched repeatedly in the head as she lay on the ground on Percy St.

Her mum said the teen's family had been rocked by the ordeal.

"We are devastated, and going through the motions with her," she said.

"The Warwick (Hospital) team was amazing and very supportive before she was choppered from Warwick to Brisbane."

The heartbroken mum yesterday told the Daily News there had been little change in her daughter's condition.

"We don't know much yet except that she's been okay overnight," she said.

"She's still in an (induced) coma in a critical yet stable condition.

"The neurosurgeon was excellent and has kept us up-to-date all the way."

Two teenagers, allegedly known to the victim, stand accused of attacking the 15-year-old on Tuesday morning.

A former Warwick woman, Shannon Angela Williams, 18, who now lives in Wilsonton, has been charged with grievous bodily harm.

A 16-year-old Warwick girl has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and grievous bodily harm.

The pair had their matters adjourned via a phone link with Goondiwindi Magistrates Court yesterday for the purpose of making a bail application and appeared in court in Toowoomba today.

A 17-year-old boy who was helping with investigations is being treated as a witness and has been released by police.

The victim's mother asked for time to focus on her daughter as she recovers.

Just days earlier, the teen found a job locally and was happy to be working.

Her boss said she was excited to be offered the position.

"Another staff member phoned and told us what had happened yesterday and it is tragic and shocking news," he said.

"She had just started last week but her feedback from her first shift was very good.

"She was soft-spoken and respectful to the other team members and very keen on getting a job. We wish her a very speedy recovery."

Year 11 students graduate at university

Year 11 students graduate at university

The university program allows high school students to attend.

Local Partners