Full tank of disgust over city's 'unfair' fuel prices
TOOWOOMBA motorists have not held back when it comes to their disgust at what they deem to be unfair fuel prices.
Despite oil prices per barrel nearly halving recently, drivers here received only a modest drop in prices while outlets around the state charge as little as $1.12 per litre.
Just six months ago the price of a barrel through Brent Crude oil was $112.30, but as of January was $63.20.
Chronicle Facebook follower Thomas Monk posted a photo taken of a service station price board in Tempe, Sydney, on January 6 advertising 99c a litre for e10 fuel and described Toowoomba's prices as "criminal".
It was a sentiment echoed by readers who had recently returned from trips to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, the Southern Downs and the South Burnett where they all paid lower prices for a tank.
It was also noted that smaller centres further from the coast such as Dalby and Leyburn had cheaper prices.
- Maurean Brand: $1.24.9 at the little town of Leyburn 60km from Toowoomba. Yesterday in Toowoomba it was $1.31-$1.35 Toowoomba is being ripped off big time, why isn't being investigated for price fixing?
- Simon Tuffley: Was in Kallangur last week and saw unleaded for $1.12/ltr that's not even discounted. There is no excuse for 25c difference, just plain price gouging.
- Kimberley Major: Paid 135 in Toowoomba got to Brisbane and it was 112!
- Theresa Young: I live at Withcott, petrol is 131.9, come into Toowoomba and fuel is closer to 1.40 in some places. Doesn't seem right for a few kms drive. Although went to Brisbane over new year filled my car up for $50 as opposed to $70 or $80 in Toowoomba.
- Jodie Counsell: $1.14 at sunny coast last wknd. Toowoomba servo owners are being greedy.
- Karen Berg: There is no reason why we are 20c a litre more than Brisbane..... Total rip-off.