DIY fireworks leave two men with severe burns
TWO men were taken to hospital with severe burns after homemade fireworks exploded in Booral on Friday night.
The recipe for the fireworks had been downloaded from the internet, and the items used to make the explosives purchased from a hardware store.
Emergency crews were called to Oslove Dr just before midnight on Friday after the explosion rocked the area.
Hervey Bay police Acting Sergeant Nicola Davies said police were called to the home about 11.30pm on Friday.
"They had been making (an explosive) in the kitchen and it had ignited and burnt two of the three men present," she said.
The Chronicle has chosen not to name the type of fireworks the men were trying to make for safety reasons.
Queensland Ambulance Service senior operations supervisor Martin Kelly said a 28-year-old Booral man and a 23-year-old Dundowran Beach man were both taken to hospital with severe burns to their face and hands.
A 17-year-old man was treated at the scene for a cut to his arm.
"The most serious was cooling off in the pool (on the arrival of paramedics)," he said.
Mr Kelly said the men had partial thickness burns to their face and hands and one of the men had full thickness burns to the hands.
One of the men is expected to be airlifted to Brisbane.
Mr Kelly said the explosion should serve as a warning.
"Don't trust recipes off the internet," he said.
"Any attempt to make explosives of any nature is fraught with danger."
Mr Kelly said three ambulance units and a critical care paramedic responded to the explosion.
Police are investigating the explosion.