Tom Petty died of ‘accidental overdose’
AUTOPSY results reveal rock legend Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose of prescription medications.
Results revealed overnight in a statement from the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner end months of speculation after the musician's death in October at 66 years of age.
The report confirms Petty was taking several pain medications including Fentanyl, oxycodone and generic Xanax. He was also taking medication for sleep and depression.
Doctors prescribed the singer the various medications to treat a number of medical conditions including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.
Petty's organs failed due to a "mixed drug toxicity", according to the LA Country Coroner.
It was reported the music legend suffered a cardiac arrest when he died last year but the cause of death on his death certificate was left as "deferred".
The report also stated Petty had coronary artery disease - a condition which reportedly caused the singer trouble while he completed a 40th anniversary tour with his band The Heartbreakers in September.
The legendary Free Fallin' rocker was rushed to hospital and put on life support after being found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home, TMZ reported in October.
"On behalf of the Tom Petty family, we are devastated to announce the untimely death of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty," Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, wrote in a statement on behalf of the family.
"He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40pm PT surrounded by family, his band mates and friends."