MARK Fawcett has been in the entertainment industry for 25 years, but he has never seen anything like Mackay's response to news of a Kiss concert in March.
The latest news to thrill fans is that there could even be a second night of Kiss, Motley Crue and Thin Lizzy.
"I've never seen a city go off like this. Our phones are in meltdown this morning and we're not even on sale yet," the MECC manager said.
"We've had calls from Cairns, Rockhampton and Weipa, our Facebook page is going off. It's just starting to dawn on people that it is really happening."
Mr Fawcett also revealed the possibility of two nights of rock.
"If Mackay really gets behind this, there will be a second concert, as we are actually holding the second night on the Sunday for that possibility," he said.
Kiss fever hit the city from first light yesterday, and someone who can lay claim to being the city's biggest Kiss fan is 19-year-old apprentice diesel fitter and keen guitarist Mitchell Preece.
He got word Kiss was definitely coming to town via a text message from a mate sporting the Daily Mercury's front page at six in the morning.
Mitchell has been listening to the band since he was 10 years old.
"My aunty sent me a greatest hits album as a Christmas present," he said.
"I started listening to that, and thought this is great."
He hasn't stopped since and has 37 albums, is getting close to owning all the band's video releases and is part of the unofficial Kiss Army Australia Facebook group.
He can roll off the names of songs and band members at a steady pace, and would do well in a Kiss trivia quiz.
Another mate and Kiss fan, Reece Heel, bought an "Axe" Gene Simmons custom guitar just last week.
"You gotta see Gene Simmons play God of Thunder with the Axe guitar and the blood," Mitchell explains.
Tickets range in price from $99 to $160.
KISS TICKET DETAILS
- Kiss, Motley Crue and Thin Lizzy will perform on March 16 at Virgin Australia Stadium
- Tickets start at $99 (cash)
- Gold reserve (grandstand) seats are $160. Charges apply for credit cards
- Find out more at mackaytix.com.au or phone 4961 9777
- Former MECC and stadium customers will be emailed details to buy tickets from today
- Public tickets go on sale at MECC (in person at box office only) on Thursday, November 22 at 8am
- If ticket sales warrant, there could be a second concert on Sunday, March 17
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.