Man stung by deadly stonefish, rushed to hospital

BREAKING: Lifeguards at Bulcock Beach in Caloundra have treated a man who was stung by a stonefish this morning.

The 27-year-old man is being transported to hospital via the Queensland Ambulance Service.

It's Surf Life Saving Queensland's third reported stonefish sting in two weeks.

The backs of stonefish are lined with spines that release a venomous toxin making it the most dangerous fish in the world.

 

A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra.



Photo Contributed
A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra. Photo Contributed Contributed

Its venom causes severe pain and swelling and can kill tissues, stop your arms and legs from functioning and put your body into shock.

If stung medical attention should be sought quickly as the sting is serious and can be fatal.


School captain takes out Lockyer dux, makes QLD’s top 1.85%

Premium Content School captain takes out Lockyer dux, makes QLD’s top 1.85%

In a year of difficulties, a Lockyer High School student has credited her...

PHOTOS: Momentous day for new Plainland school

Premium Content PHOTOS: Momentous day for new Plainland school

The Lockyer Valley’s newest secondary college opened its doors to excited students...

Victim says attacker used racial slurs in alleged assault

Premium Content Victim says attacker used racial slurs in alleged assault

The man, who was walking his dog in a park, was hospitalised after the alleged...