Jason Binkiewicz, a 42-year-old from Ohio, had been found guilty of attempted murder
Jason Binkiewicz, a 42-year-old from Ohio, had been found guilty of attempted murder

Man dead minutes after sentenced to 13 years in jail

A MAN who was sentenced to 13 years behind bars has jumped to his death from the third floor of a courthouse in the United States.

Jason Binkiewicz, a 42-year-old from Ohio, had been found guilty of attempted murder after shooting a man in the face in 2015.

Moments after the judge handed down Binkiewicz's punishment, screams filled the courthouse, news.com.au reported.

Binkiewicz, while being led to an elevator inside the Jefferson County Courthouse, broke free from an officer's grasp on Saturday, ran towards a banister on the third floor and flung himself 30 metres (100 feet) to his death.

Paramedics rushed to the scene but Binkiewicz was pronounced dead a short time later.

The Ohio man was convicted last year of shooting Ronald Horton in the face the day after thanksgiving last year.

He entered a not guilty plea in January by reason of insanity but was found guilty after a one-day trial.

Binkiewicz's hands were shackled but his feet were not - local news reports suggest there were previous issues with swelling.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla said the deputy was holding Binkiewicz's shirt when he jumped.

"As soon as Binkiewicz started running, (the deputy) he was on him quick enough when he reached out, he had his shirt. It wasn't good enough, and if he held on to the shirt, most likely (the deputy) would have gone over with him."

Prosecutor Jane Hanlin told the media nobody thought Binkiewicz was capable of doing what he did.

If you or someone you know needs help, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.


Man in critical condition after being hit in head by log

Premium Content Man in critical condition after being hit in head by log

He was rushed to hospital after an incident on a private property this afternoon

No new Qld cases as Europe wave soars

Premium Content No new Qld cases as Europe wave soars

Qld records no new COVID cases as Europe’s second wave worsens

Labor accused of giving voters’ private details to unions

Premium Content Labor accused of giving voters’ private details to unions

Personal details of a number of people has allegedly been shared