News

Man in coma after shock while charging iPhone

A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone
A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone

A 30-YEAR-old Chinese man, Wu Jian Tong, has fallen into a coma after receiving an electric shock by  a charging iPhone.

The news comes less than a week after reports of a Chinese air hostess killed whilst answering a call on her own charging iPhone.

Wu reportedly yelled "I'm getting shocked" after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger. His sister rescued him by pulling the charger - later found to be a counterfeit or third-party product - from the socket.

"I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot," said Wu's sister. At this point her brother had become unresponsive, spasming and foaming at the mouth.

When an ambulance arrived on the scene Wu was not breathing, and paramedics had to resuscitate him as well as pry open the fingers of his left hand, which had clamped shut on the iPhone.

After taking him to the hospital Wu was found to be in a coma, albeit in a stable condition. "It was no doubt an electric shock," said Wu's doctor at Beijing's Hai Dian Hospital.

In a response to the incident Apple have said: "It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."

"Our customers' safety is very important to us and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorized Apple resellers."

Some reports have also suggested that counterfeit charger was also responsible for the earlier death of air hostess and bride-to-be Ma Ailun.

After Ma's death Chinese citizens argued back and forth on the internet regarding the threat posed by charging iPhones. Ma's sister tweeted the incident, saying "I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging."

Early reports over Wu's electrocution suggest that a counterfeit charger, not Apple, is responsible. Such items are often poorly constructed with inadequate insulation, and the Chinese government are well-known for their inability to stifle counterfeit markets.

Local papers also reported that on the day of Wu's electrocution it had been raining and the air inside the house very humid - factors that would have exacerbated the danger from the charger.

Topics:  china editors picks iphone


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Lockyer Valley farmer wins the top horticulture award

Lettuce farmer Anthony Staatz has been named the AUSVEG Grower of the Year.

Anthony Staatz wins grower of the year.

Lead lighter shines on Gatton

NEW SKILL: Learn a traditional art form at Dianne Coplick's  leadlighting classes in Gatton.

Learn the art of leadlighting in Gatton.

Family matters for Lockyer Valley Demons

FOOTY BOND: Leong and Natasha Lay are both playing their first season of Aussie Rules together with the Lockyer Valley Demons.

The father, daughter duo are playing Aussie Rules for the first time

Local Partners

Wet and mud doesn't stop the Glamorgan Vale team

Most horses have a few extra years' experience jumping difficult courses, but that isn't stopping Stuart Jenkins' gelding Fairview Aliquidam

What to expect at Birds of Tokyo's Ipswich gig

The band will perform at the Racehorse Hotel on Friday.

BAND member Glen Sarangapany talks music, pub grub and doing shoeys

What public holidays are left in 2017

Ipswich residents will get the day off tomorrow for the show.

IPSWICH residents will get tomorrow off for the show

Caitlyn comes home to launch debut album

Gympie's Caitlyn Shadbolt will launch here debut album Songs On My Sleeve at an exclusive all-ages concert in Gympie on Friday, May 26.

Win tickets to Caitlyn's album launch

Concert death toll revised up to 22

TWENTY-TWO people have been killed and at least 59 people have been injured following a terror attack in Manchester

Casual Keanu says fame is ‘cool’

Keanu Reeves in a scene from the movie John Wick: Chapter 2.

NOBODY expected much of John Wick when it was released in 2014.

Ariana Grande breaks her silence after fatal blast

According to reports quoting witnesses, a mass emergency evacuation was prompted after explosions were heard at the end of US singer Ariana Grande's concert in the arena.

The entertainment industry is in shock after attack on concert

Pitch Perfect star suing Woman’s Day over ‘liar’ articles

Actor Rebel Wilson outside court on Friday.

REBEL Wilson's career destroyed by grubby campaign, court hears.

Seven Year Switch: The boner to end all boners

Johnny’s outraged over claims he has a cracked boner.

She gulps. Her face says it all.

Bay to star in Hollywood shark thriller ‘Cage Dive’

Cage Dive, written and directed by Gerald Rascionato, is now screening in the United States of America. It had scenes filmed in Hervey Bay.

And our visiting humpback whales also make appearance.

Celebrity sex tapes: Where does all that money go?

Basically, did Paris and Kim earn fortunes from their videos?

One of Maryborough's most historic homes is still for sale

FULL OF HISTORY: Trisha Moulds is owner of the historic Tinana state known as Rosehill. The beautiful home is currently for sale.

It has been the scene of both joy and tragedies over the years.

The face of the Sunshine Coast's overpriced rental crisis

Alyx Wilson had to rent a $385 unit in Currimundi because the market was too competitive for cheaper rental housing. She is now renting a room from friends who own a house in Currimundi, and says its much more affordable.

Young people feel the strain in competitive, expensive rental market

WATCH: Take a tour of a tradie's dream home

5a Bruce Hiskens Court, Norman Gardens, going for $720,000. INSET: Lea Taylor.

Huge block with potential for anything

Deputy Premier makes massive call on controversial sand mine

Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine.

BREAKING: State Government makes huge call on Coast sand mine plans

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!