SYDNEY seven-year-old Julian Cadman has been formally confirmed as one of the 14 people killed in a terrorist attack in Barcelona, Spain.
The Civil Safety Agency of Catalan confirmed to News Corp that little Julian was deceased.
"We have identified three deceased victims of the attack in Barcelona though DNA, the agency said. "This identification has already been communicated to the families of the deceased."
The agency Emergencies Catalan also confirmed one Australian-British dual national child, along with one Italian and one Belgian, had been confirmed deceased.
Until now there has been no official advice provided on Julian's condition or whereabouts since the attack on Thursday, when he and his mother Jumarie "Jom'' Cadman were struck as they walked down Barcelona's Las Ramblas promenade just before 5pm on Thursday evening. He had been listed as unaccounted for.
Jom continues to recover in a Barcelona hospital, while her husband Andrew, who arrived into Barcelona from Sydney on Saturday, is by her side.
Australian and British consular officials are assisting Andrew and Jom Cadman, and several family members have arrived in Barcelona to support them.
Family member Debbie Cadman, from the UK, posted on Facebook to say what the family was experiencing was "beyond words."
"We appreciate all the prayers and love,'' she wrote. "The family has released no information as we wish for privacy. We are receiving incredible support from British and Australian consular officials."
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the Government was "deeply saddened to confirm'' Julian was among those killed.
"We remain in close contact with the family who has requested privacy at this difficult and harrowing time," she said.
"The Australian Government will continue to provide consular assistance to those caught up in the attacks, and their loved ones."
UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson also tweeted his condolences to the family.
"The FCO (foreign office), our Australian colleagues and the Spanish authorities continue to do all we can to support his family at this deeply distressing time," he said.
Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade released this statement on behalf of the Cadman family: "Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family. As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.
"He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.
"We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time. We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.
"We will not be making any further comments on this tragedy and ask everyone, especially the media, to give us the privacy we need to grieve away from the public eye."
Police believe they have now identified 13 of the 14 victims, although not all have been named.
The Catalan Government issued a statement several days ago saying forensic doctors at the Institute of Forensic Medicine and Forensic Sciences at the Department of Justice were working to identify the terror attack victims who had been taken to the Ciutat de la Justicia (City of Justice).
"…they will perform autopsies and other tests to determine their identities," the statement, in English, read. "The relatives of the mortal victims will be attended by teams of psychologists, social workers, forensic doctors and Mossos (police). The bodies of the foreign victims will be repatriated once identified and with the prior authorisation of the judge."
The Civil Safety Agency of Catalan said that 50 victims remained in hospitals around Barcelona, of which 12 remained in a critical condition. Another 24 had serious injuries, while 11 were less seriously injured and three had minor injuries.
The injured include people from 22 nations - including two from Australia - Ms Cadman, and another Australian woman being treated at a Clinic Hospital, young Sydney bank worker Suria Intan.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.