Lockyer Valley Regional Council won't publicly reveal the answer to Cr McDonald's November question on notice.
Lockyer Valley Regional Council won't publicly reveal the answer to Cr McDonald's November question on notice.

Lockyer Valley council wont reveal question on notice answer

LOCKYER Valley Regional Council is not revealing the Mayor's response to what authorisations councillors need to meet with federal and state politicians.

At council's November 26 meeting there was a heated exchange between Mayor Steve Jones and Cr Jim McDonald after Cr McDonald asked a question on notice about what authority the Mayor relied on to require councillors to seek council permission to attend events when invited by MPs.

Cr McDonald told that meeting he always let the CEO know in advance of any meetings he held with politicians in his capacity of councillor but said the Mayor had no right to insist on granting permission.

Cr Jones took Cr McDonald's question on notice and said he would respond in writing to Cr McDonald by the December 17 council meeting.

However that meeting came and went without any discussion of the question on notice.

The Gatton Star queried council whether the response had been tabled at the meeting.

A council spokesperson said the response was issued to all councillors including Cr McDonald in writing prior to the meeting.

"With the distribution of the letter, the matter is now closed," the spokesperson said.

On Friday the Gatton Star requested a copy of the letter in the interest of full public disclosure.

However Council has not responded to that request.


High winds, severe thunderstorms tracking towards Lockyer

Premium Content High winds, severe thunderstorms tracking towards Lockyer

STRONG winds and severe storms are heading towards the Lockyer Valley and...

COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Premium Content COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Deputy Premier rules out any changes to restrictions this weekend

Prison trio accused of COVID-19 riot offences

Premium Content Prison trio accused of COVID-19 riot offences

Three prisoners are accused of rioting during the coronavirus lockdown