A MAN in the US has shared a warning about the danger of leaving a clear water bottle in your car on a hot day.
Dioni Amuchastegui, a battery technician from Idaho was on his lunch break when he saw smoke coming from his car.
When he went to investigate what happened he realised that a bottle of water was responsible and took to Facebook to share his story.
"I looked over and noticed light was being refracted through a water bottle and starting to catch the seat on fire," he explained in the video.
The water being magnified can be heated to up to 121 degrees celsius (250 degrees fahrenheit).
It may not seem like a big deal but the burn marks on his seats show that leaving a water bottle in the car on a hot sunny day is dangerous.
Firefighters in Oklahoma did a test and found that sunlight magnified by a water bottle reached 121 degrees celsius according to news channel KFOR.
"The sunlight will come through, when it's filled with liquid, and act as a magnifying glass as you would with regular optics," explained David Richardson from Oklaholma's Midwest City Fire Department.
"It uses the liquid and the clear material to develop a focused beam and sure enough, it can actually cause a fire, a combustion," he explained.
Always take your water bottle with you
The risk of this happening in your car is low but there is still a risk of this starting a fire.
With the warmer weather approaching in Australia it's worth keeping this in mind every time you have a clear water bottle in the car and taking it with you when you get out.
This article appeared on Kidspot and has been republished with permission.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.