INFERNO: A fire, believed to be caused by self-combusting hay, ripped through a shed and house in Laidley South on Monday, March 13.
INFERNO: A fire, believed to be caused by self-combusting hay, ripped through a shed and house in Laidley South on Monday, March 13. Photo Contributed

Laidley home destroyed in fire

A FIRE that destroyed a home in Laidley South was initially sparked by self-combusting hay.

A mixture of rural and urban crews attended the Moonlight Pde address about 4.50pm on Monday to battle the blaze.

The fire started in the hay shed but by the time crews had arrived the fire had spread to the nearby home.

A Queensland Police Service spokesperson confirmed warm moisture trapped inside the hay had become hotter and caused it to spontaneously combust.

"Some of the hay was still green, with enough moisture and in the right conditions it will just go up,” they said.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said over the course of the incident about 10 crews attended the scene trying to contain the fire.

"On approach they could see black smoke and both the shed and house involved were completely engulfed and fully alight,” they said.

"When the first crew arrived there was someone at the property, who said they heard a loud bang, then saw smoke and flames coming out the shed, they then proceeded to call 000.

"Everyone was accounted for.”

The spokesperson said emergency services worked on containing the blaze into the evening.

"They got it under control and were dousing down hot spots just before 7pm and the last crew left just before 10.30pm,” they said.

Donations for the affected family can be left at Laidley Town and Country.


United front to fight for long term water security

United front to fight for long term water security

The two councils have come together to form the collaboration.

$16 million to target diseases

$16 million to target diseases

Tackling pests and diseases together

Local Partners