Leslie Jurgens and her three children at the back of their house which was damaged in a fire on Tuesday afternoon in Laidley.
Leslie Jurgens and her three children at the back of their house which was damaged in a fire on Tuesday afternoon in Laidley. Amy Lyne

Laidley family recovers from house fire

A Laidley family has had their house damaged and belongings lost in a fire on Tuesday afternoon.

The back of the William Street house caught alight due to an electrical fault in a washing machine in the laundry at the back of the house around 3pm.

Leslie Jurgens had just won best dressed at a Melbourne Cup function in Laidley when one of her children came running to her to tell her the house was on fire.

Leslie and her 3, 5 and 6 year old sons and 15 year old daughter had lived in the Housing Commission house for only six weeks.

Leslie said they were forced to stay in the house on Tuesday night because they had nowhere else to go.

They are currently staying in a motel.

The house was to be repaired the following day until asbestos was discovered.

 "They are removing the laundry from the back of the house tomorrow and they said we should be back in it by tomorrow night," she said.

"But the house is full of it.

"They have to rewire the entire house so it gets back up to standards."

They were staying in emergency accommodation up until they moved into the house.

The family lost bikes, scooters, a washing machine, clothes, towels, linens and food due to no electricity in the blaze.

"It is great for Christmas," she said.

"I had Christmas present stored in the back of the house so the kids couldn't find them and they are gone."

The children have been unable to return to school since the incident.

The family would love any help they can get.

Donations of clothing can be left at the Gatton Star office, 45 North Street Gatton or call 5462 2266.


Concerning number of drug drivers caught in highway blitz

Concerning number of drug drivers caught in highway blitz

Spreading the road safety message was priority for police

Drivers urged to fuel up even if it's only few cents cheaper

Drivers urged to fuel up even if it's only few cents cheaper

Fuel prices on the rise in the Lockyer Valley.

Fire ban issued for Lockyer Valley and Somerset

Fire ban issued for Lockyer Valley and Somerset

The ban came into affect at midnight this morning

Local Partners