Labor pushes for Abbott to save Holden for $150 million

LABOR'S former industry minister Kim Carr says the Federal Government could save Holden for an extra $150 million per year, and secure the entire Australian automotive industry by spending an extra $300 million per year.

Senior Government ministers have told the ABC they believe Holden is on the verge of announcing it will cease production in Australia as early as 2016, but Industry Minister Ian MacFarlane says no decision has been made.

On Friday Prime Minister Tony Abbott declared there would be no more money for the car company, and called on it to come clean about what it had planned for its Australian operations.

But Senator Carr has told Newsradio the Government has known for some time that preserving Holden's Australian operations would cost around $150 million extra per year.

"For $300 million a year, Holden, Toyota and 160 component manufacturing companies plus all the suppliers that flow from there can be preserved but the Government does not want to face up to its responsibilities," he said.

Read more at ABC news online.


Bushfire reported near Glen Esk

Bushfire reported near Glen Esk

People in the area may be affected by smoke

Newly planted trees stolen straight out of soil in parklands

Newly planted trees stolen straight out of soil in parklands

The group planted 35 trees for National Tree Day earlier this year.

UPDATE: Fire sweeps through estimated 3000 hectares

UPDATE: Fire sweeps through estimated 3000 hectares

The fire is still burning, now hitting an estimated 3000 hectares

Local Partners