SPICE up your dessert with this Indonesian nutmeg cake.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 130g butter
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180∘and generously butter the sides of a 20cm spring form cake tin. Remove the sides from the base of the cake tin, then lay a sheet of baking paper over the base. Replace the sides of the cake tin, firmly locking the paper in place.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, mixed spice and baking powder, then rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spoon almost half of this mixture over the base of the prepared tin.
- Whisk the bicarbonate of soda, egg and nutmeg into the milk, and then add the milk mixture to the remaining flour mixture in the bowl. Stir thoroughly to combine these ingredients.
- Pour the batter onto the crumbs in the cake tin, then sprinkle the white sugar over the top of the batter.
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees C for one hour, or until golden brown and ‘springy’ when pressed gently with your finger in the centre of the cake.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.