A MAN who allegedly took part in the horrific rape of a woman in Brisbane's inner suburbs six years ago has been denied bail after Brisbane Supreme Court was told a doctor who examined the victim's injuries found it hard to believe she gave consent.
It is alleged the 32-year-old and another man assaulted the woman, who was walking along Manning St, South Brisbane, on April 15, 2011, after leaving a nearby venue at 11.30pm.
They allegedly followed the woman for a short time before forcing her into a lane and assaulting her.
Both men, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested late last year after new evidence came to light.
Justice Jean Dalton denied bail this morning, noting the woman sustained extremely serious injuries.
"This rape is very violent to the extent that a very experienced forensic doctor who examined the woman... (said) it was hard to believe that what went on could be consensual," she said.
The court was told there was DNA on a cigarette butt linking the man to the laneway and a nearby phone tower also placed him in the vicinity.
The other man's DNA was found in the woman's pants, the court was told.
The prosecution said it was understood the other man, who was a teenager at the time, would allege there was consensual sex.
Justice Dalton said the 32-year-old was also charged with deprivation of liberty and threats involving another woman in 2012.
It is alleged he held a knife to her throat.
Justice Dalton said the maximum sentence for rape is life in prison, and it was likely he would receive a hefty sentence if found guilty.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.