Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.


FULL LIST: Gatton Magistrates Court appearances today

Premium Content FULL LIST: Gatton Magistrates Court appearances today

Here is a list of matters listed at Gatton Magistrates Court on Thursday.

Brisbane preferred candidate to host 2032 Olympics

Premium Content Brisbane preferred candidate to host 2032 Olympics

Olympics 2032: Brisbane gets IOC green light to go for Olympic gold

Qld’s $8.9b drug habit skyrockets

Premium Content Qld’s $8.9b drug habit skyrockets

Drug use in Queensland: Cocaine and ecstasy use surges