Flood heights released

AN INTERIM height at which Lockyer Valley residents can build new dwellings or reconstruct existing ones on land affected by January's flooding disaster has been released.

Lockyer Valley Regional Council resolved recently to adopt, as an interim, a building height for a minimum habitable floor level as the level of the January 2011 flood event plus 300mm.

The height applies to both new and existing dwellings, although homeowners looking to reconstruct an existing dwelling will simply need to sign an indemnity form which will state they are aware of the risks of building below the interim flood level.

The interim height may also be changed once the final results of the Lockyer Creek Flood Study are complete, which is expected to be in late August.

Lockyer Valley Mayor Steve Jones said Council had set an interim flood height to allow residents to make decisions about rebuilding their homes on land affected by January's flooding events, or building a new home on land which may have been inundated.

“It is important for Council to release this information now, even before the Lockyer Creek Flood Study is fully complete, because residents need answers to rebuilding issues such as this,” Cr Jones said.

“I'm confident Council has got it about right with this interim building height.

“Council considers that by requiring residents to build 300mm higher than the recorded flood levels, a conservative approach to flood risk is being taken.

“In the short term it will help residents to make a more informed choice about their living arrangements and any future inundation which could occur.”

If residents are rebuilding an existing dwelling which was affected by the January 2011 flood event, then they will need to either build 300mm higher than that event or sign an indemnity statement stating they are aware of the risks of building below the interim flood level.

If residents are building a new building on an allotment which did not previously have a habitable building constructed, they will need to lodge an application for a Material Change of Use (building located in a flood inundation area).

Residents may be asked to supply any anecdotal information which they may hold in regard to any flood event which has affected the property.

Residents have the option to dispute Council's decision regarding the interim levels by:

Placing a dispute under the LVRC General Complaints Procedure.

Lodging an appeal to the Building and Development Dispute Resolution Committees.

Making a complaint to the Queensland Ombudsman.

A fact sheet on the interim building height decision can be found at Council's website at

Residents who are unsure on how this may affect them are also encouraged to phone Council on 1300 005 872.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Have you seen the car connected to a Laidley robbery?

Police are appealing for information on a break and enter of the QN Hotel in Laidley.

If you know anything contact police or Crime Stoppers.

What's in it for us?

COMMUNITY'S VOICE: ATRC's Lockyer Valley Community Consultative Committee.

Lockyer Valley committee sceptical of Inland Rail

Sheep dairy is top class

GOOD STUFF: Awassi Queensland has been recognised for its sheep milk products for a second year running.

Lockyer sheep dairy recognised by country's best chefs

Local Partners