FLOOD victim Peter Campbell thought he'd hit rock bottom — that was until Toowoomba Regional Council came knocking.
Mr Campbell was threatened with a fine of $832,500 when council's building and compliance branch found he was living in his Wylie St mechanics workshop.
He claims he had nowhere to turn after his home near Helidon was inundated and isolated by January's floods.
“Physically I couldn't even get to my home,” he said.
“I was stuck here with nothing but the clothes on my back.”
Mr Campbell only last week found somewhere else to live, but still feels let down by Toowoomba Regional Council.
He said council officers failed to show any compassion or discretion when dealing with his unique and tragic circumstances.
“All they were thinking about were their rules and regulations,” he said.
“I wasn't here by choice and I was trying to find an alternative arrangement.
“I think it was all a bit heavy handed.
“There was no offer to help, it was all enforcement.
“Their actions showed callous disregard for my circumstances.”
Mr Campbell said as a former police officer he understood “rules are rules”.
“But this is not about bending the rules,” he said.
“It's about knowing the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.”
Toowoomba Regional Council was unable to comment on the matter because the Show Cause notice was in effect until August 17.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.