Kabra crash victim to remain in induced coma for a month

Trevor Heyes
Trevor Heyes

UPDATE TUESDAY 4.30PM: It will be at least a month before Trevor Heyes is woken from an induced coma, after undergoing several extensive surgeries in Brisbane. 

The 58-year-old Rockhampton man remains in a serious, but stable condition in the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital after a  traffic crash near Kabra on Friday which also claimed the life of his older brother Harry. 

It's understood Trevor is undergoing a long operation this afternoon and, following that, will be kept in an induced coma for at least a month. 

UPDATE MONDAY 2.30PM: Trevor Heyes remains in a serious condition in the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital after undergoing surgery on Sunday. 

The Rockhampton man, 58, was involved in a traffic crash near Kabra on Friday which claimed the life of his older brother Harry. 

EARLIER: A DAY meant to celebrate life turned to misery and grief for the family of two brothers involved in a fatal crash near Kabra on Friday.

Harry Heyes, 61, and his brother Trevor, 58, were travelling on Four Mile Rd when a car collided with them at the bend joining with McEvoy Rd.

Tragically, Harry died at the scene.

Trevor and the driver of the vehicle, a 26-year-old woman, were taken to Rockhampton Hospital with serious injuries.

A family member told The Morning Bulletin Friday was also the day Harry and Trevor's mother turned 90.

But the celebrations were marred by the tragic news, which has rocked the family and the community.

A Rockhampton Hospital spokesperson said Trevor was airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital on Saturday.

Trevor's daughter Laurena Furber told The Morning Bulletin her father had been in surgery for serious injuries for more than eight hours on Sunday.

He was in a critical, but stable condition last night.

Laurena said her father faced a long and difficult road to recovery, likely having to undergo seven or eight further operations for serious leg, spine and wrist injuries.

She said Trevor had been in an induced coma since Friday, but hoped he would be woken today.

In a Facebook post, Laurena thanked the community for their messages of support.

She wrote her dad was "one strong man" and "one of the best fathers any girl could ask for".

Trevor is well known among the Rockhampton community, having run Main St Butchery for many years.

However, several years ago he moved to working on heavy machinery.

Topics:  fatal crash

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Kilcoy gets a run at history

HONOURED: Somerset's Matthew Heck will carry the Queens Baton through Kilcoy next Tuesday.

Queen's Baton Relay celebrations to hit town next week.

Rain gives a boost to prices

ON THE RISE: Recent rain in the state is driving demand for cattle.

Cattle prices recover from last year's fall

Have you seen the car connected to a Laidley robbery?

Police are appealing for information on a break and enter of the QN Hotel in Laidley.

If you know anything contact police or Crime Stoppers.

Local Partners