Father of three to remain in jail
AN IPSWICH father-of-three, who is facing a host of serious charges including armed robbery, will remain in jail until his trial after his bid for freedom was rejected.
Nathan James Jackson is facing 31 charges for alleged offences committed over a four-month period from late last year to earlier this year.
Jackson's alleged crimes included armed robbery, drug, fraud and driving offences.
Crown Prosecutor Amanda Robinson told the Brisbane Supreme Court, during a bail application on Friday, that Jackson posed an unacceptable risk of reoffending if his freedom was granted.
"His criminal history consists of 24 offences since 2010 alone," she said.
"That does not include the 31 alleged offences in which he is currently before the court in relation to.
"He has never engaged with the parole services and has failed to appear in court in relation to other matters on four occasions."
Defence lawyer Andrew Bale told the court there was several identification issues which needed to be addressed surrounding the alleged armed robbery offences, but admitted his client was facing a lengthy jail sentence if found guilty of them.
"The key to Mr Jackson remaining offence free is if he remains drug free," he said.
Justice Alan Wilson agreed Jackson posed too much of a risk and dismissed the application.
"He has a disturbing criminal history," he said.
"There is also evidence that he allegedly committed one of the armed robberies just a day after appearing in the Ipswich Magistrates Court on unrelated charges where he was given a suspended sentence."