Fallen Queensland WWI diggers to be remembered

QUEENSLANDERS who sacrificed their lives in the First World War will be remembered and preserved thanks to Anzac Centenary Community Grants program.

Minister Assisting Glen Elmes said on Friday 57 projects had been funded in the first round of the $13.5 million initiative.

"The Anzac Centenary grants program is an important commemorative initiative to assist communities in a time of reflection, honour and remembrance," he said.

"Families all over Queensland contributed their labour and the lives of their young children to support Australia's involvement in the First World War.

"I encourage communities to use the grants program to tell personal stories that engage and educate future generations on the efforts and sacrifice of service men and women in a significant period of our nation's history."

Mr Elmes said the grants would assist communities across the state to commemorate the Anzac Centenary in ways that are relevant to them.

"For some, it might be the contribution made by a group of young local men who signed up together, for others it might be the involvement of a community in providing supplies or material to support the war effort and for others it could be that their community was the location for some military activity," he said.

"The government is providing funding of up to $80,000 each for local events, projects and re-enactments to commemorate Australia's involvement in the First World War."

Mr Elmes said that assessment of the applications was undertaken by an expert panel of community leaders specialising in the military, Australian arts, heritage and events.

He said that applications for round two funding would be opening soon.

Topics:  anzac-centenary diggers wwi

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

All's Wells for Madi after third national silver medal

RISING STAR: Lockyer District Athletic Club's Madison Wells celebrates her latest silver medal success with mum Sharyn and dad Lee in Melbourne.

Madison Wells won silver at the Australian Multi-events titles.

Bid on hot cross buns to help raise funds

GOING HOT: The Old Fernvale Bakery aim to raise $40,000 for the Lady Cilento Childrens Hospital by donating $1 from every pack of hot cross buns sold. Pictured here are Lyn and Bill Rose with the latest hot cross bun creation, cranberry, pistachio and white chocolate.

Help the Old Fernvale bakery get over the line.

Home Affairs visits Gatton

HELPING HAND: Department of Home Affairs staff Michael and Zepphorah at the department's visa outreach event in Gatton on Tuesday.

Immigration visits Gatton to advise on visas

Local Partners