EXPERTS are calling for parents to play a more active role in educating their teenage children on the dangers of binge drinking and urging parents to encourage an abstinence approach.
The warning came following a recent incident in which it is believed a student at a local high school became violently ill at school after consuming large amounts of vodka before school. It is understood the girl was drunk at school as part of a dare and vomited during class as a result of her level of intoxication.
A spokesman for the school confirmed “an incident” did take place and said it had been dealt with appropriately at a local level.
Headspace Southern Downs manager Mark Goddard said while drinking was not a huge problem in the community, he had seen cases of “very young” people seeking help for problem drinking.
“Young people experiment and alcohol is the most accessible drug they can get their hands on,” he said.
“We do get very young people in here experimenting with alcohol and we certainly don’t condone it.”
Teenage drinking is often considered to be a normal part of growing up but Mr Goddard said it was the responsibility of parents to educate their children on the dangers of excessive drinking.
He said abstinence from alcohol for the longest amount of time possible was the best plan of attack.
“Young people should be taught alcohol is a poison and the longer they stay off it the better,” he said.
Mr Goddard said there were many reasons young people began drinking but said there was certainly a link between the trend and mental illnesses.
Warning signs drinking may become a problem is when alcohol is the first thing people think about and is at the forefront of decision making.
If you need help for alcohol or other drug related issues call Headspace on 4661 1999 or contact your local GP.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.