Earthen flood levy set for North Burnett

MUNDUBBERA'S flood resilience will be greatly improved with an earthen flood levee to be built through the government's multi-million disaster mitigation and resilience funding program.

Local Government Minister David Crisafulli said on Tuesday the floods that struck the North Burnett in 2013 were the largest on record for the region.

"The floods did a great deal of damage in Mundubbera, with an estimated 72 homes and 11 businesses hit by floodwaters with the damage bill topping $20 million," he said.

"The new levee will include storm water drainage that will save an estimated 61 homes and 8 businesses and protect council's sewerage infrastructure."

Mr Crisafulli said more than 40 councils would spend almost $52 million from the Disaster Mitigation and Resilience Funding program this year on more than 80 projects.

He said projects include new levees and temporary flood barriers, road-raising, major drainage and stormwater upgrades, improvements to evacuation routes and the installation of rainfall and river height warning systems.

"Queenslanders have been pushed to the brink in the past few years and we are doing everything we can to not only protect them but make them stronger," he said.

"The works will also provide a much-needed financial boost to communities through jobs and lower insurance premiums.

Topics:  mundubbera

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Kilcoy gets a run at history

HONOURED: Somerset's Matthew Heck will carry the Queens Baton through Kilcoy next Tuesday.

Queen's Baton Relay celebrations to hit town next week.

Rain gives a boost to prices

ON THE RISE: Recent rain in the state is driving demand for cattle.

Cattle prices recover from last year's fall

Have you seen the car connected to a Laidley robbery?

Police are appealing for information on a break and enter of the QN Hotel in Laidley.

If you know anything contact police or Crime Stoppers.

Local Partners