The grave of Clint Gee's father Alex Richard Gee after adding the ashes of his mother Elizabeth Joyce Hobbs.
The grave of Clint Gee's father Alex Richard Gee after adding the ashes of his mother Elizabeth Joyce Hobbs. Elouise Quinlivan

Son forced to dig mother's grave after council mistake

AN "INTERNAL co-ordination error" within Western Downs Regional Council forced grieving son Clint Gee to dig the burial plot for his mother's ashes at Wandoan cemetery.

Having travelled from Redbank Plains to Wandoan for the ceremony, Mr Gee said he was gutted to find the work not done.

"It was a sombre day in itself, knowing what we had to do. I looked around the cemetery thinking maybe they'd dug the hole at the wrong grave," he said.

Mr Gee said he was lucky to have a shovel in his car when he went to place his mother's ashes at his father's grave.

Following his mother's wish to be reunited with her husband, Mr Gee said he had gone through the process to make sure he could change the headstone in the future.

Mr Gee said the short ceremony turned into a drawn-out process as he worked out how to dig into the harsh Wandoan dirt.

Mayor Ray Brown said the council provided an apology and refund to the family.

"Measures have now been put in place to help ensure that something like this doesn't happen again," Cr Brown said.

"Council, and particularly the staff involved, apologise and express sincere regret at having caused distress and upset to Mr Gee and his family."


Council, ARTC at odds over passenger rail plans for Lockyer

Premium Content Council, ARTC at odds over passenger rail plans for Lockyer

“AT the moment, we’ve got virtually nothing.” Council calls for passenger rail...

LNP’s $7m pledge to fix dodgy Lowood to Fernvale road

Premium Content LNP’s $7m pledge to fix dodgy Lowood to Fernvale road

IF successful, tenders will be sent out within the first 100 days.

Fatal levels of nicotine in Queensland vapes

Premium Content Fatal levels of nicotine in Queensland vapes

Poisons lines inundated with calls about nicotine poisoning from vapers