HOW a routine gas bottle refill turned into a roaring fireball is what Clark Tanks general manager Lindsay Welsh wants to find out.
Mr Welsh said his Dalby business was trading as usual yesterday after a gas bottle explosion at its Napier St facility on Thursday afternoon.
He said a staff member had received burns to his hands after gas ignited while he was refilling a small gas cylinder from a larger one.
"It was complete and he was just undoing the connection and it just burst into flames," Mr Welsh said.
The worker was treated by paramedics and taken to Dalby Hospital to have his injuries checked.
Mr Welsh was glad the fire had been contained to a designated area of the yard.
He said damage was minimal.
"It looked very dramatic because of gas going up.
"We did lose some made tanks that were nearby."
He said his company would work with gas supplier Origin and Workplace Health and Safety officers to find out the cause. "It is a mystery but we will investigate and get to the bottom of it.
"I'm sure the wider industry will be interested in why this happened."
Mr Welsh said his business' emergency procedures were followed and praised firefighters for controlling the flames.
"As far as emergency situations go, it all went like clockwork.
"The main thing is the worker is not seriously injured."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.