CBD attack victim will never work again
HELPING others was all in a day's work for Impact client support officer Stanton Mellick.
But the 53-year-old suffered such horrendous injuries after he was assaulted in his Woongarra St unit on May 8 that he won't work again and will need life-long support.
Mr Mellick spent two weeks in an induced coma, undergoing surgery to repair his skull, jaw and eye socket and remove bone matter and part of his brain.
His family has made an emotional plea for help, setting up a GoFundMe page to help ease the financial pressures and assist with the rehabilitation Mr Mellick will need to regain his motor skills.
The doctors have advised that he won't ever work again because of the brain damage
Mr Mellick's small but tight-knit family have banded together and his sister-in-law Margaret Mellick said while Stanton had been in Bundaberg for only about 18 months, he had strong ties to the region.
"He grew up in Maryborough and moved to Bundaberg 18 months ago but he knew the area well because his father lived in Bundaberg," she said.
"Before moving to Bundaberg he worked as a maitre d' at big restaurants in Sydney and Adelaide.
"People loved him, they came to the restaurants because he was there.
"He's got a wicked sense of humour, he loves laughing, he's got the loudest laugh."
Mrs Mellick said her brother-in-law's role at Impact was to help others start their career in the hospitality industry.
But it's Mr Mellick and his family who need a helping hand.
"The doctors have advised that he won't ever work again because of the brain damage," Mrs Mellick said.
"He won't drive again. It will take two years at least in rehabilitation to get his motor skills back.
"His affairs have had to be taken over. Everything people have in their life, he can't do."
To help the Mellick family go to www.gofundme.com/28pq484.