ASSAULTED: Jack Tait.
ASSAULTED: Jack Tait.

Campaign against violence

THE family of a teenager who was knocked out by thugs and then photographed while unconscious, has agreed to help campaign against senseless street and alcohol-fuelled violence.

Brett Tait said his family was fortunate his son Jack, 17, survived the attack last year.

Jack was attacked and beaten until he passed out during the incident near Mt Coolum.

Mr Tait said his thoughts went out to those families victimised in similar crimes who were not as lucky.

"Fortunately, we are not grieving, because our son is alive, and we have the energy to do it (campaign)," Mr Tait said.

"My heart goes out to the families of victims.

"We are lucky."

The Tait family has become the focus of wide-spread media attention after questioning why only one member of the gang responsible for the brutal crime was charged.

Jake Edward Luckett, 18, of Marcoola, received a suspended jail sentence after pleading guilty to throwing two punches in the attack last March.

The photo of gang members holding Jack by the hair and throat while he was unconscious, was circulated by text message to hundreds of local teens.

Mr Tait spoke directly with the Attorney-General's office late yesterday, after acting Attorney-General David Crisafulli announced on Thursday the court case and sentence would be reviewed.

"There's obviously been an injustice and they want to sit with us further to discuss the whole case," Mr Tait said.


Waiting list for council’s lantana chemical subsidy program

Premium Content Waiting list for council’s lantana chemical subsidy program

LANDHOLDERS are on a waiting list to access council’s 100 per cent rebated chemical...

Lockyer businesses to gain major boost after economic blow

Premium Content Lockyer businesses to gain major boost after economic blow

After COVID-19 damaged the local business economy, the Lockyer council has invested...

Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Premium Content Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Annastacia Palaszczuk says decision on opening SA to be made at end of month